Saturday, August 29, 2015

W30 day 23

Yeah, tiger blood in the house. Lots of energy. What did I do with it? I did two back to back exercise classes and then came home, made lunch and then danced around the living room for 10 minutes with my 22lb dance partner.

Meal 1


This was maybe the best breakfast I have had on whole30. Kalua pork on plate made guacamole (why was I dirtying a bowl all these years!), hard boiled eggs and sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil.

Meal 2

More Kalua pork "tacos" with lettuce, salsa and guac. It looked like a lot of food but wasn't enough after working out for 2 hours. 


So I had shepherds pie after. Yum!


I tried a new vegetable today, jicama. Cut it into "chips" raw to put the pork and guac on it. Shredded it into a beet and carrot and jicama salad as well. I was still hungry after this so I had more pork.

Here's some info on jicama pilfered from the internets:

Low in calories but high in a few vital nutrients, jicama is a bit of a contradiction when it comes to its starch content. It provides one-quarter of what's needed daily in fiber per serving. But not just any fiber - jicama's fiber is infused with oligofructose inulin, which has zero calories and doesn't metabolize in the body. Inulin, a fructan, promotes bone health by enhancing absorption of calcium from other foods, protecting against osteoporosis. Inulin has a prebiotic role in the intestine – it promotes “good” bacteria growth that maintains both a healthy colon and balanced immunity. Because it has a very low glycemic index, jicama is a great food for diabetics, and low in calories for those interested in weight reduction.

Jicama is also an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C - 44% of the daily value per serving - and a powerful antioxidant that zaps free radicals to protect against cancer, inflammation, viral cough, cold, and infections.

Besides healthy amounts of potassium, this little powerhouse can help promote heart health, since high-potassium vegetables and fruit are linked to lower risks of heart disease. Jicama contains important vitamins like folates, riboflavin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, and thiamin, and the minerals magnesium, copper, iron, and manganese. Like potatoes, they should be used sparingly due to the high carbohydrates content.

So nice to try something new! Tastes like a cross between an apple, potatoes, and peas.

I can't believe that this time next week I'll be on my last day. I've got to research the reintegration process. Hoping I can start with wine!




No comments:

Post a Comment