Wednesday, January 12, 2011

epic one-pot extravaganza

So the vegan eating is going pretty well, but I was craving mussels and salmon while basking in the hot pools at the spa this weekend. There was much discussion about what I couldn't wait to do once we got home to make a food fantasy into reality. This strikes a chord as to why I think I like cooking so much. There is something amazing about imagining something then making it happen. Dreams come true kind of stuff. Yummy yummy dreams.
My sous-chef cleaned these off very well. The mussels need a good rinse so you can discard any with broken shells and the already opened ones. They're dead. Wow this is so not vegan.

Can't go wrong with some plum tomatoes and sliced garlic.

Threw some chopped celery, onions, fresh basil and oregano and that there is garlic butter. Topped the whole thing with a big glug of white wine and some tomato juice. Covered it and shoved it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Here's what we ate while it cooked:
It was my dinner companion's maiden voyage on the good ship artichoke. He described them as "interesting" a bunch of times. I think he liked them. We steamed them until tender then served them with two dressings: a vinaigrette with port wine vinegar, and melted butter mixed with a teaspoon of lime juice. I love artichokes. What other food gives you more on the plate when you're finished eating than when you began?


Next, we moved on to the salad course. Not just any old salad though. Grilled halloumi salad.


Apparently the trick is to start with a cold pan.

Finally the mussels were done. They had a nice smooth texture from being baked.

Under all those mussels was a glorious mess of fish and veg. Glorious, I tell you!



A meta-blog moment. Brought to you by wine.

1 comment:

  1. you BAKED the mussels with all that other jazz????????????????????????

    WOWzers. I need to know more about this one.....

    ReplyDelete