Sunday, January 3, 2010

curry craving

Hello friends! Welcome to 2010, hope you all had a fantastic time ringing in the new year. My NYE 2009 post is yet to come. First I want to tell you about the green curry I made after a day of shopping at the sales. God I love sales. Got a pair of jeans, 2 cardigans and a long sleeved top for 80 bucks. Pretty amazing! As I was shopping my little heart out, I was very very hungry, and mentally going through my fridge to see what I could make. I started craving thai green curry. Creamy, spicy, sweet and warming curry. Yes. I ended up having to buy coconut milk, beer and coriander to complete my feast.

Mmmm beer.


The ingredients in question: garlic, ginger, onion, zukes, red pepper, carrot, celery, broccoli. And their little friends coconut milk and curry paste. P.S. this paste kinda sucked, buy the Thai Kitchen one instead. Mental note for next time.

Oh and cherry tomatoes decided to jump in at the last minute.

I pre-fried some tofu marinated with soya and pepper in some coconut oil. Next time I will cut the pieces up smaller.

For those of you unsure how to cook curry...it's just like soup. Start by frying your aromatics (garlic, ginger, onion). They make the house smell good and you can brag that you are an amazing chef though all you've done is heated the ingredients to release their aromas. It's all good. Then add the harder veg first as they take longer to cook. (Carrot, celery, broccoli.) Then the softer veg go in with coconut milk and the curry paste. Stir and simmer. Add more water if you see it's drying up. I like a lot of sauce. In the meantime have some grain cooking, like rice or quinoa or rice noodles. Combine and sprinkle with coriander. Enjoy!

It ended up tasting OK, but not spicy enough. Some spicy thai hot sauce cleared up that problem.

I couldn't very well eat this feast alone now, could I? Cristal came over and brought us some treats. Lovely little cakes from the bakery around the corner. I was blown away by this macha green tea cake. So green. So tea-y. Delish.



There was also a chocolate fondant cake and this here is some cranberry cake.

Hope everyone is recovering well from the festivities and has had a lot of fun. NYE post is up next with risotto, fireworks and general shenanigans. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment