Sunday, January 6, 2013

Green Tomatoes



I got a load of green tomatoes in my Lufa Farms basket this week. I've begun blogging for them, inspiring the masses to eat more veg and help them figure out what to do with those darn unfamiliar vegetables. Why, with Lufa, I've finagled some tasty meals with new (to me) veggies like tomatillos, fresh edamame, and kohlrabi, to name a few. 

So, my newest challenge: green tomatoes. What to do with them? Don’t fret, here are some simple and delicious ideas to help you get started. P.S. these dishes would a taste amazing with regular red tomatoes as well! What's more is that all these dishes are low carb for all you crazy (like me) new years resolutioners!



Stuffed Green Tomatoes with Tuna and Cheese

I made a simple tuna salad with chopped celery, yellow peppers and some mayo, but you can use whatever you have on hand or even stuff the tomato with chicken salad.



 
Begin by slicing the top of a medium to large tomato and hollow out the middle. I used a grapefruit knife for this task.


This already looks good enough to eat, doesn’t it? Top your stuffed tomato with grated cheese and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. To brown the cheese, broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is delectably bubbling.





 Stuffed Green Tomato with Ham and Egg

If tuna’s not your bag, how about an egg based tomato dish?


 Start by coring your tomatoes and then line them with 2-3 small slices of prosciutto or ham.



Top with some grated cheese and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes to melt all that cheesy goodness.



You can garnish both of these delicious dishes with a quick green tomato salsa.

Ingredients:

4 medium tomatoes (I used the cores and the tops of the ones I stuffed)
2 inches worth of seeded cucumber
½ a pepper (I used yellow pepper)
1 clove garlic
¼ medium onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili flakes



Blitz in a food processor or blender, or chop finely. You will notice that this salsa is very liquidy, so you may want to squeeze out some of the wetness with some cheesecloth or paper towels.



It tasted great as an accompaniment to both stuffed tomato recipes and I can’t wait to try it with some corn chips!


1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed, Lia! :D No wonder Matt is crazy about you ;)

    ReplyDelete